What is Dwelling Coverage? 

Dwelling coverage (Coverage A) is the portion of your home insurance policy that covers the cost of rebuilding /repairing your home in the event that it is damaged or lost in a covered peril such as wind, hail, lightening or fire. Separate policies are needed for damages and losses caused by earthquake and flood insurance as these are not covered under standard home insurance policies.

The amount of dwelling coverage that you should purchase should be enough to cover the cost of rebuilding your home in the event of a complete loss. Do not confuse this amount with the market value of your home, as the market value includes the value of your land. Remember that in the event of a disaster, your land will not be lost, only the buildings that stand on it. To determine the replacement value of your home, check out our Home Insurance Calculator.

Want tips on how to protect your home and reduce the risk of dwelling claims?

Have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Visit our FAQ page to see questions that have been posted by our customers. Want to speak with one of our licensed agents? Click to Request a Call here and one of our agents will call you. Or call an agent directly at 1-800-863-2383.

Read about other types of home insurance coverage included in a standard policy:

  1. Coverage A- Dwelling 
  2. Coverage B- Other Structures on Your Property 
  3. Coverage C- Personal Property/Contents 
  4. Coverage D- Loss of Use 
  5. Coverage E- Personal Liability Protection 
  6. Coverage F- Medical Payments